Thursday, April 2, 2009

In Their (Slightly Mispoken) Words

Just when I reached the ultimate burnout point, my students gave my spirits a mini face-lift.

It is the last week of first trimester classes here in Mozambique. But, seeing as final exams are in the second to last week, and we have all already calculated and turned in our grades, pretty much no students come to school, I cant really teach real lessons, and there is a general lazy haze blanketing the Escola Secundaria Ecuménica São João de Chidenguele (yes, that is the insanely long name of my school). But, since we are still required to be here and giving lessons, put on my enthusiastic face and came up with an exercise. Letter writing.

First I gave an example, then broke down the basic mechanics of how to write a letter. Then they were on their own. Here was the assignment:

Work in small groups to write a letter to someone important (for example the school director or the president) asking for something that you think the school needs. Include what you need, why you need it, and what you will do with it.

I have included a selection of the responses. I am proud of their success and also I find the mistakes endearing, thus the letters are pretty much free from my edits.

The first, of course, is my favorite. Just read it and you will understand.

Dear Mrs. Caitlin,

Thank you teacher for your job to teaching because is very good, and you have patience and you is active. We haven’t something important to tell you, only thank you for your job (teaching).

Sincerely,

Group 1, Student Numbers: 1,6,11,17,29,30,31

Dear Mrs. Caitlin Krutsinger,

We are fine, and you? We are students in Secondary school in Chidenguele. We want to study university. After school we someone want to be a doctor, teacher, and president in the country, but my fathers cant pay the university but we have success in the future in the country because at student we have job. Goodbye.

Sincerely,

Turma B02


Dear Mr. Director,

My school needs English books. We have difficulty in studying. If we had books we would read them and give many informations.

Sincerely,

Manhice, Paulino, Sandra, and Ofelia

Dear Mr. Director,

My library needs dictionary because we don't have English dictionary and want to learn English Language (write and speak).

Sincerely,

Manjate Simon and all

Dear Mr. Director,

My school needs computers. I am studying at this school, and we have lessons to study using computers, because it is very difficult to study these lessons. I will use the computer to study very hard these lesson, and I need to finish these lessons very well.

Sincerely,

Group 2


Dear Mr. Journalist,

The people of Chidenguele needs the news the country. But pass many news without knowing. We will have knowledge of news the county, or the all sides of the world.

Sincerely,

Students of Chidenguele S.S.

**** I should note here that in Chidenguele you cannot get radio stations, have to have one hell of an antennae to get TV reception, and there is no newspaper. Pass many news without knowing – é verdade ****

Dear Mr. President,

My school needs a 20 computers. I am studying to use computers, but it is very difficult to learn without enough computer. I will use the computer very hard to know and understand, so I can get a good job.

Sincerely,

Chidenguele, Escola Secundaria Ecuménica São João


Dear Mr. Regulol Lead Chemane,

We need some plot of land. We haven’t place to play football in our school. When we will had a plot of land, we would train and play all type of sport. And also, we can make small show, theatre and more things.

Sincerely,

Escola Secundaria de Chidenguele

No comments:

Post a Comment