Ok, it isn’t explicit, and they aren’t detailing the underage escapades directly to me, but there is no lack of calling the girls over, discussing plans of where they will meet, etc.
Sometimes they are kind enough to switch from Portuguese to Changana – which might be in an effort to appear somewhat clandestine, although I am the only person in the entire school/town/possibly
Maybe Changana is just the language of love/statutory rape.
I mean the men might as well turn to me and say, “Hey Caitlin, I fucked a thirteen year old last night.”
Really, they pay no attention to the fact that I happen to be there. Perhaps because I am the only female teacher that works during the morning period, and so the surging testosterone and the sight of the tight little teenagers is too much. Or the whole ‘its my right as a teacher’ mentality, or the oh so charming thing Iraque once said to me:
“Well, if they don't have sex with students, who will they have sex with?”
“Well maybe their wives.”
“But they are too far away.”
Then I made a somewhat vulgar hand gesture to indicate masturbation which wasn't received well.
And the thing is, it seems like they are all sleeping with MY students. But I suppose it is better that way, considering I teach 11th and 12th grade. Better my students than the little itty bitty meninas.
How do I respond to this sort of atmosphere – the feisty feminist that I am?
Negate all requests to change grades for some teacher’s girlfriend (although there haven’t really been many. I think my male colleagues might be a little afraid of me)
Empower the girls
Make fun on the male teachers for their unhealthy interest in the children every chance I get.
Example: as the entire staff of teachers sits at the school during some science fair thing (which was actually wonderful for the kids, a real opportunity to see science in action. Doesn't happen that often, usually they just copy down the information the teacher dictates and then memorize it.)
Professor Saia: Catarina, can you give me 10 mets of phone credit?
Me: Why? I only have 20 mets
Saia: I want to call my daughter in
Me: Liar, you want to call one of these meninas (and I point to the plethora of underage girls surrounding us)
Everyone laughs.
“Oh how he likes the little girls”
He also tells me that he is going to come visit me at night. Keep your grandpa sweater ON and your wrinkly old man in your pants, thank you very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment