Well it has been two weeks now without a gas stove, and I can already feel my lungs turning black.
And not only do I cough/wheeze like a granny that has smoked since I was 14, but I smell like a walking campfire. Joy.
But, at least I have gotten my charcoal stove lighting technique down pat. The stove itself is basically scrap metal welded together. It has four legs that make the whole stove about knee height, and atop those wiry appendages stand two pits, which are basically little wire baskets that you fill with charcoal. Just above the basket/pit there are little fingers where you put your pot (I guess I am really into the human imagery but just picture the little metal things which hold the pot over your basic gas stove).
How to fazer lumen (literal translation: make fire)
Step One: try to find a not very windy location (for example a semi-closed in veranda) to place your stove.
Step two: fill the metal basket with charcoal.
Ok, actually my second step is walk to Iraque’s house with a plastic bag and fill my said plastic bag with charcoal because, for some reason, we decided to store the saco de carvão at his house even though I ALWAYS cook. So now that my hands are already coated in black coal dust, I pile muito carvão from my little plástico into the stove.
Step three: forage for kindling. I have in fact located a prime kindling spot just near my house, but after two weeks it is already running a bit dry. Not sure if it’s a sustainable source afterall.
Step four: arrange a little teepee of kindling in the middle of your charcoal.
Step five: locate matches and a plastic bag. But try not to touch too many things in the process because your hands will be blacker than an African coal miner, and that stuff stains (especially if you recently fired your empregada and are now washing you own clothes by hand. ie me).
Step six: use a match (or two or three depending on the wind levels) to light the plastic bag on fire, and hold said bag so that it just touches the kindling teepee. The woodlets should light on fire. Be sure to let go of the bag before your hands are consumed in the flames. I have tried paper because of the whole toxicity of burning plastic issue, but it just burns to quickly, and then I have to end up burning my old lesson plans or something which I don’t really want to do. A plastic bag, however, lasts just long enough to really set that teepee afire.
WARNING: avoid breathing in the toxic burning plastic.
Note: if you are having wind interference, try moving inside. Or, my mama in Namaacha told me to drape a capulana over my head, and then lean into the stove so that the fabric forms a wind-block. I never liked this idea much because of the possibility of burning of the fabric/my face, and the increased plastic bag/charcoal smoke inhalation.
Step seven: carry the stove to a very windy location or use a plate or something to wave the flames so that it really catches.
Now, you have made fire, and can get a-cookin’
No comments:
Post a Comment