I bought a box of oatmeal that I suppose sat on the shelf too long. It was full of wormy maggots. I ate it anyway thinking the boiling water would kill them. Now I think I have a parasite or intestinal disease of some kind.
That will teach me.
Or the bowel discomfort could be residual damage from the food poisoning I and maybe 20 other volunteers got at our conference in January.
I am not one normally inclined to each maggots on any given day, so let me explain my lack of wormy discretion.
Oatmeal is expensive here. Really expensive. But I buy it anyway in order to avoid the monotony/useless refined carbohydrates/fiberlessness of plain white bread for breakfast. And it is usually a delightfully warm little start to my morning (and sometimes a sweaty hot delicious start to my morning when it is already like 90 degrees outside at 6am.
I am used to finding a few little bugs inside, but nothing of note, and certainly nothing worth throwing a whole box of gold into my trash hole outside.
Lesson learned: little bugs=OK, just pick them out; wormy maggots=gastrointestinal nightmare
No comments:
Post a Comment