Thursday, September 3, 2009

Botswana Day 4: Fuck Beef


“Was that an elephant?”
10 minutes later
“See guys, wasn’t that really an elephant?”

Yes it was, and this was after we had already hit a cow, it was dusk out, and we weren’t yet at our destination. The cow left the car hairy and dented, and us shaken and pitifully eating baked beans out of the can in a gas station parking-lot… an elephant would surely leave us dead.

And now I am boycotting beef… not that the industry will really miss my meager consumption, but every little bit helps in the fight against cattle in the road.

“Who hasn’t hit a cow? They are everywhere,” says a woman at our campground.
Ok, well we certainly haven’t, maybe just because we don’t normally live or drive in beef-ville, Botswana.

Note to travelers: Don’t rent from Budget in Botswana, because apparently they don’t actually insure the cars. When you think you have signed up for comprehensive insurance, you really have just signed some useless waiver and will still have to pay thousands of Pula if anything happens to the vehicle. It really is a silly policy considering the number of cows on the road in this country. I’ve been told that with AVIS, you can get in an accident and you don’t pay a dime.

The whole situation is still pending, and I’m not sure how it’ll all end up – or how many Pula I’m going to have to pull out of my pockets. Here’s hoping.

UPDATE: we owe something like 11,000 Pula... meaning I will be making payments to Julia for a while considering the whole meager African Peace Corps Salary situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment