Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Little Country Girl who is Afraid of Machines






Well, I've done it. Made the trip to costco. I even took a picture.

I also took a picture of my sister drinking out of a water fountain at REI. I mean its pretty exciting. Running water, free of parasites, amoebas, dirt, fecal matter, bugs, etc. And its all channelled into such a handy little slurpable stream. My photo and general excitement at the sight of the functioning fountain of course prompted a passing employee to laugh at me - the not so little girl in tights and heeled slouchy boots at REI. I am not sure if I feel like I have to compensate for the fact that I am a Peace Corps Volunteer living in Mozambique, or I am just enjoying myself, but I find myself coveting tights and sequins.

Anyway, the adjustment has been easier and more difficult than I could have expected. What I thought would be difficult: lots of people, lots of stuff, stimulation, ahhhhhh in my face.

Actual reality: my life in Mozambique is far more chaotic than anything I have ever experienced here. Even little jaunts in the mom-mobile Subaru with all five family members crammed in, hooting and hollering, on our way to walk the streets of p-town barely fazed me. So, am I older? wiser? more mature? or just deadened to the hullabaloo?

What I have noticed: lots of houses. and lots of useless shit. Like really, why do electric, rotating, blow-up, Christmas lawn ornaments exist? and how much to people spend on them?

"You aren't going to go chain yourself up in front of Costco to protest or something are you?" mom

"No mom!" I value sparkly shoes too much to protest consumerism.

But, as expected, I feel like a big fat granny pants, sleeping at 9 (or earlier), waking at 4, and finding myself unable to work all these new-fangled, fancy gadgets.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cait,

    I have been reading you for some time now, but only now commenting. I lived in Chimoio and then Maputo for a total of nearly 5 years, and just moved back to the US in September. I find your blog wildly entertaining, very funny, poignant...the works. Boa sorte com tudo.

    cheers,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete