Rather, I am talking about some cultural norms that my students have opened my eyes to. We are amidst a unit on relationships in my 11th grade classes. Although we began with the traditional family tree exercise, in hopes of incorporating some life-skills into the unit I quickly steered the topic to gender roles, and healthy love relationships.
Although we talk about sex/HIV almost every day in my lessons, and my students display an amazing amount of maturity when discussing the subject - or perhaps they are just numb to HIV Prevention overstimulation. However, after beginning this unit, I had to implement a new rule in class:
No telling teacher Caitlin that you love her.
Those who break it have to cart water for me.
Oh the looks I got when I asked “What makes a good girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife?” Add a word web into the mix, and wow. You are looking at a bunch of little African blank faces. Like most roads in
Night Class:
Money
They give
They help
They support
Do things for me (about 10 people said this)
Turma 1:
Kissing
Help and Support
Money
Do things for me
Turma 2:
Kissing
Money
Help/support
Do things
Give things
Respect
Well, I guess romance is dead in
Thank god for Julius in my second 11th grade day turma who threw respect into the mix. I was losing my faith in humanity a little bit. But it is true what you hear, so many of the relationships I see around me every day are transactional in so many ways. But life is very difficult here. There is no money, there is no work, there often is no food, even if there is work, there is no money to pay the workers (ex: the teachers salaries are about a month overdue). If you meet someone who can give any of those things to you… I suppose it looks a lot like love.
Or maybe, in reality, it is. It is a more palpable, helpful, realistic type of love then the sort of inconvenient, consuming, can’t live without each other happenstance love, or romanticized exquisite pain that has been so drilled into the minds of westerners – ever since the era of courtly dragon slaying love - with every Shakespearean romance, glittery $5 Valentines Day card, romantic comedy, and multi-platinum Backstreet Boys album.
By the way, Backstreet’s back in
No comments:
Post a Comment